- Words of Affirmation - My dad has always done this for me by telling me every day that he loved me, praising me, telling me he's glad I'm his girl, writing me letters that express his love for me, etc. I have been incredibly blessed to always have this kind of love expressed to me by the man in my life (and now my husband does a fantastic job of it too).
- Physical Touch - When my sister, Carissa, was a baby she would cry in the carseat (this was when we lived at the ranch and had to drive at least 30 minutes anywhere we went). The thing that would always calm her down was if we held her hand. I would start out in the front seat twisted around with my arm falling asleep and end up just moving to the back so it was a little easier! It was precious. Now Little John loves to cuddle with his aunt! My mother-in-law is also this way, always rubbing people's shoulders, hugging all of us, and showering her grandbabies with kisses and snuggles.
- Quality Time - My sister, Caitlin, does this so well. She is about to be 13 and at an age when most girls are thinking mostly of themselves, but she is always thinking of others. She is ready at any moment to completely drop what she is doing and spend time with me, my children, or anyone that she loves. She never thinks she has spent too much time with her family and always has more to give. When she is with you she is also very focused and pays attention and remembers details of what you are doing or thinking about.
- Gifts - My sister-in-law, Brittany, has this one nailed down. She pays close attention to what people like or need and can always find the perfect gift. This does not necessarily require a gift-giving occasion but can be just because "it looked like you." This also translates into thoughtful things like taking really good pictures of my kids and giving me copies or spotting something that I was looking for while she was out. Definitely the person you want to draw your name in a gift exchange!
- Acts of Service - This one is my mom. Growing up I don't think I ever fully appreciated the extent of this, but now that I am a mom I realize how MUCH she did without acting like it was anything out of the ordinary. Now I think about all those hours I sat on the dryer in the laundry room and talked to her while she ironed, and I realize that she was ironing all those hours! Even though I wouldn't consider this one of my primary love languages, it is something that I appreciate with all of my heart and it does make me feel very loved. The fact that she has driven to my house to help me clean up my carpet when Little John threw up all over the place is only one example of the things she is always willing to do! Moms are amazing!!! John's dad is also this way and is constantly giving his time and hard work to do things for others - even people he doesn't really know!
Looking at this list I realize what a blessing families are and how God uses them to show us love in all of these areas. Maybe as we grow we are supposed to be able to express His love in every area! The differences we all have make our lives together so interesting!
1 comment:
Courtney-
I loved reading about every one of these and the examples...It is easy to picture everything you said about each of your family members. What a gift from the Lord they all are!
I was just thinking today about all of the acts of service my mom does...Bringing by medicine when the boys are sick, bringing by dinner when I am beat, I could go on and on...What a gift we have been given in our mothers...
Love you and love reading your daily thoughts!
Becky
Post a Comment