Friday, April 27, 2007

Role Models

This week I have been working on getting the invitations ready for Little John's 3rd birthday party. He wants a "baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, bowling, boxing party" so we're going with a sports theme. A rocket scientist that decision did not require. I think this child was born loving sports. I mean, his first word was "ball" and he can already throw a ball in the air and then hit it with his bat. I can hardly do that. Anyway, this year has been so much fun because he actually cares what kind of party he has and who he wants to invite. I printed his invitations the other night while he was sleeping and when I showed them to him the next day he said, "Mom!" (long pause while I wondered if he hated them) and then, "That's amazing!" Too fun. I was addressing envelopes and asked him who he wanted to come to his party. At the top of his list were Ryan and Meredith who are a couple in our small group. They were right up there with the family (it's really cute because he always makes sure Kailey is going to be there - melts his mommy's heart). I was reminded again how grateful I am for all of the adults in his life who are so quick to affirm him, make him feel important, and encourage him. I sent Ryan and Meredith an e-mail to tell them just how much it means to me that they would take the time and have the patience to be friends with our toddler, even when his attitudes and behaviors aren't what they should be. It is amazing to have friends who love your family that much! Little John will never remember a time when there weren't people, outside of our family, who noticed him and made him feel a part of what was going on. This interaction is one reason that I love having our kids as a part of our small group. I really think if you asked him who his best friends were right now, he'd skip the kids and go straight to Ryan and Dwight who are right up there with his uncles. I think this is how God meant for the church to be! Church family helping us to raise our children by loving them and being involved in their lives. I cannot possibly thank God enough that my son not only has a wonderful father and other male family members but also countless other male and female role models in his life! What a blessing!

No comments: