Sunday, August 19, 2007

6 Years and Counting

Yesterday was a full and busy day. We were getting ready for Christine's shower today (which was wonderful, by the way) and then last night we had two weddings. Well, a reception and a wedding. The first was at 7:00 in Dallas, then we loaded in the car and drove to Benbrook to be at the second reception for a wedding that started at 8:00. We had both kids with us. Little John had a piece of wedding cake at the first reception and at the second he had so many different people passing him around that I'm not sure how much cake he had. All I know is that at 10:30 he sounded like a windup toy on speed. He was talking ninety miles an hour in a very high-pitched voice. It was HILARIOUS. I have never seem him like that. Then we stuck him in the car and he crashed and didn't even stir when we put him in bed.

Being at two weddings yesterday seemed rather fitting since it was our sixth anniversary. Two of my bridesmaids were bridesmaids again yesterday for the second time on August 18th. Our kids slept on all three car rides so we did lots of reminiscing of our wedding day and what we were doing six years ago. Sweet memories of a wonderful day. I probably told him ten times how glad I am that I married him. I'm sure he got it after the first time but I just want him to understand HOW glad I am that I married him!!! With God's help and leading that was the second best decision of my life, only topped by my decision to give my life to the Lord. John is everything I thought he was going to be and so much more. I knew that I was going to be committed to him and that I was going to choose to love him for the rest of my life, the bonus has been that I wasn't prepared for how in love with him I was going to be six years down the road. I thought I was in love with him when we got married. That was just playing in the baby pool. Six years and two kids later, there are things about him I am just discovering. I have the feeling that while I'm a little deeper, I still have years to go before I truly understand the depth of love that is possible after a commitment of 30, 40, or 50 years. Now that's swimming in the deep end. I eagerly anticipate what God has in store for us together.

Speaking of commitment, my parents celebrated their 35th anniversary yesterday. My heart is always full when I think of everything they have done to give the six of us unconditional love, security, and an example, not of perfection, but of God's grace. Thank you, Mom and Dad. I can never express my gratitude for your faithfulness to God, to each other, to us.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Happy Anniversary!! It's so wonderful to have friends not only in the same stage of life, but who love each other deeply and who are such wonderful examples of a Christian marriage! So glad you enjoyed your day---as crazy as it sounds! :) Wish I could have seen LJ running around at the reception. Hilarious!