Sunday, October 28, 2007

Piano & Parenting

I have had one piano student for about a year and a half now. Recently her cousin also started taking and it was one of those moments where you realize that you've been missing something. I've paid so much attention each week to where we are in my student's progress that I failed to fully realize how far we had come! When my new student started and I taught them back to back, I saw how much my original one had learned in our 18 months together. I am so excited for her! Her family recently bought a piano and now she is practicing more and beginning to sight read beautifully. It is such a delight to be a part of anyone's learning process! I'll have to keep on my toes to stay ahead of these two girls! They are smart cookies and so much fun!

As I thought about this little revelation, I wondered how often I do this in my parenting. I stay so focused on where we need to be and what behaviors, attitudes, etc. still need work that I miss the extreme progress we are making. I can easily become discouraged and frustrated when I should be rejoicing that day by day God is giving us the grace to overcome our sinful natures. And believe me, overcoming mine as just as much a part of this parenting process as overcoming Little John's or Kailey's! So, I am determined to spend less time hoping we get to Destination Well-Behaved Child, and more time celebrating the victories! I'm sure glad my Heavenly Father doesn't wait for me to get it down before he rejoices in me!

1 comment:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

What a great observation on parenting. Thanks so much! By the way I wish I had had you as my piano teacher as a kid. I was so scared of mine!