Saturday, May 26, 2007

It's A Guy Thing














Lately Little John has been identifying more and more with his dad. If you ask him, he's a big boy (pronounced beeg bOY with an emphasis on the oy). Mommy and Kailey are girls and if he sees something pink or girly, that's a "Mommy" or "Kailey" thing. Blue, manly things are "Daddy" or "John" things. If Daddy gets up to go out of the room, Little John will switch to his deeper voice and tell me, "We're going, Mom." I love to see this natural progression as he realizes that he is a little man and wants to grow up to be like Dad. I remember reading James Dobson's book, Bringing Up Boys, and him talking about the importance of this time in a boy's life. I am incredibly grateful for a husband who makes this so easy for our son. A husband who is here and involved in a daily way that makes Little John understand what men do. He already knows so many things that his daddy has taught him. For instance that we treat ladies gently and with special treatment (I love that one). John makes it clear that his sister already falls into that category and will be treated accordingly. He also knows that Daddy works hard for us every day and plays "going to work" often with his little briefcase. He also knows that Daddy always gives me kisses and whenever he sees someone kissing he says, "Aww. That's cute. Like Mommy and Daddy." He'll never "leave for work" when he's playing without giving me a big kiss. He is so proud when you point out that he has done anything the way his dad does it. I am praying so hard that he will even now also be desiring to be just like his heavenly Father. That Little John's desire to imitate Him will be even stronger and more of a driving force in his life. I know that through my husband's unconditional love and the security of his authority that it will be easier for my son to see God as a loving, strong Father who wants what's best for His child. What a blessing these amazing dads are for our boys!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So well put, as usual. I, too, have read, and shared my copy many times, of Dobson's book. It is one of those reads that is timeless!
You are such a great mother, but I also see how great of a father your John is. The simple fact that Little John wants to emulate him in every way speaks volumes. Roy was 40 when Bradley was born and I often wondered if they would be able to relate. But, they have the most amazing relationship. I can remember Brad loving to play with Roy's Army uniform and medals, and though selfishly, I always prayed he would not choose the military, I knew that if he did, he had a great man to follow in his dad. Keep journaling these days...they will be such a gift to your children in the future. There is nothing like a "little man", and that is exactly what was on Brad's 1st birthday cake...and now, I look at him and see what a wonderful young man he has become, and much he is like his daddy. God bless you for loving your children's father and sharing the experience of raising them with him so well!
Love you all so much...
Hugs!

Shelly said...

That is the BEST picture of them! And you are right---what a blessing for these boys to have such WONDERFUL daddies! I need to read that book too. I've skimmed parts and it looks wonderful.

Brooks Inc. said...

Courtney-

I have loved catching up on your blog tonight...What a precious, wonderful, "gift straight from the Father's hand" family you have.

You are an excellent writer. I love reading this blog, being both challenged and encouraged by your words! I am so thankful for our blog friendship! I wish I saw you more!

So much love-
BJB

By the way- you asked me what I thought of Litte Gym...we have loved it. Both boys have been in it since they were little (with a few breaks) and are still going strong. Next year is the first year they are at the age where they can be in the same class together...I can hardly wait!