Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ten Years Together


Last night was a special anniversary for John and me. We have now been a couple for ten years! Somehow I managed to zip both Baby and myself into my black dress and we headed out to a wonderful steak dinner where I cut only my own food and enjoyed every bite!

On New Year's Eve '07/'08, a very nervous 18-year-old John asked my dad if he could take me out and start spending time with me as a couple. We had both graduated from high school the spring before and now John was at work for a consulting company in Dallas while I had just returned from living in Dallas during the fall. We went from friends who spent a ton of time together with our buddies to a new couple figuring out how this whole thing worked! It took a lot of trial and error, adjustment from both of our families, and a lot of patience and prayer. The value of the next few years was priceless as we took very seriously the time we were spending seeking God's will and growing both individually and as a couple. I can remember waiting for his phone call each night when he left work and started the drive from Dallas to his home in Benbrook. Lots of good talking time. I've now been getting that call when he leaves work every working day for ten years. : ) I could probably count on one hand the days I haven't talked to him since then and there haven't been too many more that I haven't seen him. I still never get tired of his phone calls or any less thrilled to see him.

I still can't believe John chose me out of the girls in the world to be his. I thank God for this wonderful, faithful man and all the ways he has grown and the way the Lord has allowed us to make so much of our spiritual journey together. I thought he was wonderful ten years ago but I don't think I had scratched the surface of all that he was and what he was going to become. He is strong and full of purpose. He is committed and faithful. I never have a second's doubt or mistrust of him or his motives. He is full of life and ready to enjoy every second, no matter what we're doing! Baby, I love you and I'll gladly be the other half of this couple for decades more!!!

P.S. I just received a phone call that a friend of ours was in a severe car wreck tonight at 9:00 with her husband and two young children. They were cut out of the car and care flighted to the hospital. Please keep the Sherburne and Monroe families in your prayers when you read this. I can only imagine what they and their families are going through tonight!

4 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Happy 10 years together. So glad you guys got together. You have blessed so many people's lives.

Stephanie said...

Yeah! Happy 10 years Courtney!!! Ya'll have been such an encouragement to me! The purity of your relationship with John is so beautiful! Blessings on you both!!! Oh, and I have my own personal blog that I will be updating regularly: www.dancingin heavensrain.blogspot.com ! :) Love you!

Steph

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your time together :-))

angela said...

I love the fact that John asked your father for permission. I pray that all three of my girls will be able to say the same of their future husbands.:) Seeking God's will for your lives and new relationship is one heck of a way to start things off. Happy belated 10 years!