I guess I should explain my out-of-character, month-long absence from blog world. It is difficult to explain how I have been feeling lately. I think they are pretty normal emotions for a mom of small children, especially when piling pregnancy hormones and exhaustion on top of the normal pace of life. I've been tired, a little withdrawn, and honestly just not having the energy to reach out to anyone else. I decided I had to take a break from the hosting, and doing, and calling, etc. to just give myself and my little family a chance to breathe and prepare for the life-changing months ahead. I think deep inside I was wanting for someone to see the signs and reach out to me. I know that seems silly, but we all know how we are as women and we just want to be helped without having to ask. Certainly an unreasonable expectation, but we keep hoping just the same. Our families, as always, were right there with their constant offers of help. The way they love our children and appreciate me for the physical effort it takes to both bear and raise these little ones is the kind of support people dream of having. Whether I'm talking to my family or John's, I can always count on my cheerleader/helpers, even when their lives are busy as well. How I love them all!
As usual during these periods, I also felt the need to draw in towards God and bring myself back to a place of resting and listening for Him. I have gone back to reading, which has always been a huge part of my life, and had lately gone completely missing. It has been wonderful to go through book after book again just eating it up. I think I was spiritually and mentally hungry.
Despite all of this, I realized that I was hoping God would prompt a friend to realize something was off and reach out. What ended up being so neat about what God did is that most of the reaching came from unexpected places. Friends I don't usually see, the opportunity to reconnect or spend time with those I've intended to be with for years. We had a fun playdate with some "ladies" (as John V called the girls) we don't usually see, and other interaction that has just breathed new life into our social world. : ) (Thanks for including me, Kristen, Amanda, and Jennifer!)
I do have to especially mention two friends, though. Both of these girls are in the middle of their own life changes, and certainly busy enough to do what I too often do and simply not follow through on those promptings to call or e-mail someone to check on them. One of them is my sweet friend, Betsy. While she was on weekly countdown to her own first baby, she faithfully dropped me a line to check on me, see how I was feeling, encourage me, and remind me that she is sharing in my excitement over this third baby just like she would have my first. Simple little e-mail "conversations" that made me realize someone was thinking about me and I wasn't "out of sight, out of mind" like I was feeling. The other friend God has used to love me through my funk is no surprise. My Shelma. Sometimes I feel like Shelly is the other end of the radio on the ship where all you have to do is signal "S.O.S" and you get all the support you need. Someone at your house with conversation and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. That's a friend. : ) I never go too long without a call or an e-mail and there is someone right there who will listen to what is going on way down deep. Thank you, girls for being faithful to God's promptings. You have been lifelines to me! I love you both!
I am starting to come up for air, to feel a little more focused and less overwhelmed. I have much to do to prepare for our next little sugar, but it will all get done in time. So, that is where I have been. I'm back and way behind on posting pictures and lots of good news and stories. Praise God for His faithfulness during all of life's moments. During our more victorious ones and the ones that might include a little more wallowing. : ) He is good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm so glad to hear from you. I relate to that feeling where I want people to to make the first move. I've been praying everything was okay with you and your family (especially the new little one)
Hey Courtney! I've wondered where you went to. I'm glad to see you back! You were doing so much during the holiday season while being pregnant, that I'm sure it took a toll on you. Taking a sabatical is sometimes just what the doctor ordered. I do feel sort of bad that I did not reach out to you more. It crossed my mind on occasion, but I always had some kind of excuse, like "we're not really that close and maybe she would think I was being nosey", or "she has tons of family and friends that I'm sure they know what's going on." I am sorry for this. I can relate to wanting others to take the lead and reach out because I do this myself. I then begin feeling sorry for myself thinking I don't have any really close friends. I know that as women these are common feelings. God does want us to draw close to Him during these times and I am so glad that He is there with arms open wide to welcome us.
I'm glad to see you back! I have yet to meet up with Amanda and the gang for playdates, but I think I'm in need of that too! Maybe we can get out of the house soon and let the kiddos play so the mommy's can talk. Life seems so busy sometimes, but I think this is something we should make time for. :)
Welcome back, dear one. You were missed, and I'm glad to see you back (in the world of blog land - where I "see" you most! he!)
Thank you for your openness about the deep down, real you. Thank you for your sweet words, too. : ) You are such a wonderful friend and like I've said before, I leave every conversation with you feeling loved and encouraged! So, so thankful for your friendship! I sure love you!!
Oh Courtney-
I so related to this post. I too, am feeling the blog withdrawls...I so love you and I missed you in your absence!
BJB
Post a Comment