John V turned 6 a few weeks ago. 6! It's hard to believe that I became a mommy that long ago. We are so proud of the young man he is becoming. He is funny, kind, and quick to stand alone and stick up for others. He is learning to be wise and make wise choices. He is quick to praise and compliment his sister and brother, sensitive to even my unsaid needs, and adores his dad. He puts a lot of heart into what he does whether it's schoolwork, sports, or pretending. Watching his imagination blossom this past year has been delightful. He and Kailey can often be found "skating" through the house (in house shoes) in a major competition, looking for land from their ship while sailing with Columbus, or using light sabers to defend our family from the numerous agents of evil always on the attack. They have truly become the best of friends and their relationship grows daily. As John V wraps up his kindergarten year, I am so excited for what the 1st grade year holds for us. His math skills surprise me constantly, his reading has turned into less labor and more enjoyment, and when I look at the difference in his handwriting from the beginning of the year until now, I am amazed at the change. He also loves music and history and tolerates things that are art-related. :) Recently, though, he has become most interested in geography, constantly wanting to look at the globe, find countries, and learn about places. That is a subject I have always loved, and I look forward to sharing that with him. Lately I get a lot of, "Mommy, why does a (fill in the blank)? We should get a book about it and find out!" That thirst for learning is beautiful to see. Some of his favorite hours are the ones we spend reading together as a family. We've read several great, long books, and I have a long list of more waiting in the wings!
We had our first Austin birthday party and it reminded us of another of John V's great qualities. He makes friends very easily! His party was full of new buddies - neighbors, T-ball teammates, kids of John's co-workers, and his list was always growing. :) He makes friends at gymnastics, at the pool, in the backyard, and everywhere he goes. He always gives me the count as we leave a place, "Mom, I made two new friends while we were there." :) I love it! Many daily prayers go up that this trait will develop into a mighty tool for the Lord to use to share His gospel with others!
We love our boy! He is the delight of his mommy's heart! As I tell him before bed at night, "John, you are Mommy's precious treasure! I am so glad God gave you to me, and you are perfect for our family! I love everything about the way God made you! I love you SO much!"

John's Super Mario birthday party

A little crew of new buddies

The slip 'n' slide! Later Dad expanded it to make it even bigger.

Lining up for races

Pinata!

This year for his b-day, John's presents were outdoor and sports for some fun things this summer. Here he's getting his much-awaited scooter.

From grandparents and great-grandparents. aunts and uncles, John received new golf clubs and a golf camp, a tennis racquet and tennis lessons, and swimming lessons. It'll be a fun-filled summer!

Marmee sent a cookie bouquet to John and his birthday and he loved having something delivered just for him!

One buddy made the move with us to Austin so we got to have a familiar face from last year's party again this year. That was nice for all of us! Noah also brought John his first bigger Lego set and he and Dad had a great time putting it together.

The finished product! He was very excited! Thanks, Noah!
1 comment:
Love the pics. I miss you guys. Love that huge back yard! So much fun. And such a great idea to give swimming, tennis and golf lessons as a gift. Love you!
Post a Comment