Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thank You for This Man

Yes, I know...where did I come from? Hi, I'm Courtney. I used to write blogs. Anyway, I've been feeling the need to document all that is going on in our lives right now. Kind of an Israelite type tribute, an altar of sorts to remind our children and children's children of the power and might of our God. He is at work every day showing Himself to us. What more could we possibly need?

Today is my eighth anniversary. As I look back, watch my wedding video with my three children, and hug the man I still get excited about seeing every day, my heart is full of gratitude. So I'm going to write out the prayer that has been in my heart today so that someday when I or my children need to see it, it will be there. I pray that He will somehow use it to encourage you as well.

Lord, there are no words to thank you for this man you have given me. This man who started out as a sweet boy I knew. The cute friend of my brother's and brother of my friend's. The one who melted my heart when he played the guitar and sang at recitals, when he helped his mom put in her earrings, and even when he swung a baseball bat. The one who turned into my best buddy, calling me to ask "homework questions" from our homeschool classes, teaching together, playing Nertz for hours, going to movies with our crew of friends, and then graduating together. The one I then began to realize was not satisfactory as a friend but was someone I could really and truly love. That right under my nose was the guy I had been looking for.

Thank you for this man who saw the best in me. Who saw past the immature moments of a seventeen year old girl just beginning to figure out a romantic relationship for the first time. This man who went to work and began as a teenager to build a foundation for supporting his family. Who had goals and dreams that were bigger than himself and his enjoyment. A man who was seeking God's heart and growing into a responsible, godly, patient, humble model of manhood. The man who married his first girlfriend and gave me his entire heart, every single piece. Who by marrying me then gave me another incredible family to love...and that could be another entire letter of thanks.

Thank you for this man who helped me pray, seeking God and struggling for answers when the children we waited for did not come easily and quickly. The one who held me when we helplessly sent three children to live with Jesus and with each one we grew, not receiving answers to our questions, but receiving a far better gift...we were beginning to truly know God in the depth of our beings. To desperately need Him like we needed air and food. The man who then held my hand (and had the stuffing squeezed out of his hand) as I birthed three incredible, beautiful children. Each a miracle, each with a story of God's faithfulness, His promises kept, His strength given. Incredible moments as he actually helped to deliver two of our children and was the first one to hold them as they entered the world.

Thank you for this man who excels at being a father just as he does everything else in his life. Who makes his children feel special and loved. Who gives them boundaries and direction, loving discipline and, most importantly, an example worth emulating. A man who works hard at his job, not doing eye service, but doing the best he can even when no one is watching. A man who works to live and does not live to work. A man who uses the money God gives him to care for others and does not spend his time and energy serving his things or his money.

Could there be enough words to say thank you for a man like this all wrapped up into one husband? No, so I do my best to show my gratitude through my actions, through my heart attitudes. And as I prepare this year on my anniversary for the big test of "leaving and cleaving" that will come with our move away from family, I walk forward in confidence in this man's leadership and in what God will bring. I made a vow on our wedding day that wherever he went I would go. Now I am finally living that out eight years later. And the only one I have more confidence in than my husband is You, Lord, the heavenly Father who goes before us, beside us, and behind us. Thank You, thank You, thank You for this man.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Courtney, What beautiful stone work to reflect God's blessings in you life. My eyes stung with tears reading.

Chesley said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you and John did/will do something fun to celebrate.

Shelly said...

This so blessed me! I love your heart!