As I was having my quiet time this morning I read these verses. Once again a reminder of what we all know but can forget as we watch those in power. Even the most powerful man in the world has no power in comparison to our God. Regardless of the outcome today, our mission as Christians remains unchanged. Whether we appreciate the policies and beliefs of the man (or woman) in power or not, we are in the business of souls, of spirits, of what will last beyond the ending of this world and all its kingdoms. It doesn't matter if we meet the physical needs of those around us if we are not reaching them with Christ. Physical needs continue to return, people continue in their ways, and cycles of poverty and wealth will twist and turn again and again. We must be there with Living Water that offers the opportunity to thirst no more. We cannot rely on government policies or the money of others to do our job - WE are the hands and feet of Christ. We pray for our leaders, they can't get into office unless God has a purpose for them there according to Romans. We stop spending all of our energy trying to make those who are unsaved act like they are. Instead we work vigilantly for the harvest of souls and ask ourselves not what others are doing but what we are doing for those around us. Sometimes I wonder whether we should be asking God to have mercy on our nation or on the church. If we spent half as much energy meeting the needs of teen mothers, and sons without positive role models, and those with AIDS, as we do working to have our voice heard on laws on abortion and gay marriage, maybe they wouldn't be such issues in this country. Today I will vote and wait to see what we have chosen, and today I will pray for revival among those who fear God's Name. How can the fire spread when we are not contagious?!!
Psalm 33
4 For the word of the LORD is right and true;
he is faithful in all he does.
5 The LORD loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of his unfailing love.
6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the LORD;
let all the people of the world revere him.
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
10 The LORD foils the plans of the nations;
he thwarts the purposes of the peoples.
11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever,
the purposes of his heart through all generations.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD,
the people he chose for his inheritance.
13 From heaven the LORD looks down
and sees all mankind;
14 from his dwelling place he watches
all who live on earth-
15 he who forms the hearts of all,
who considers everything they do.
16 No king is saved by the size of his army;
no warrior escapes by his great strength.
17 A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
18 But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,
19 to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.
20 We wait in hope for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.
21 In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD,
even as we put our hope in you.
4 comments:
Great minds, eh? :) I think that the more people who share their thoughts about such things, the better. So important that we keep the big picture perspective and remember OUR role here on earth, no matter what else is going on around us!
Girl, amen.
...so true! ...And oh how I love verse 18!
We do need to catch-up sometime! I wanted to talk at church last Saturday when I saw you, but my cousin and his wife were waiting with smiles for me to go over and speak with them. Maybe we will run into each other again real soon and we can talk then:)
Hope you get to feeling better real soon! A diet of meat, veggies, nuts, and eggs would bore anyone!!! I've always wondered how people do that, but I'm sure you just do what you gotta do sometimes!
I appreciate your thoughts. I have been so discouraged by the slanderous, angry, hate and fear driven e-mails and conversations I have been hearing from Christians! God is so much bigger than our American political system, and I am thankful for Christians who speak out against the slander that has somehow become acceptable in some Christian circles. God is a God of love, inviting and inclusive. Thanks for this reminder. I ran into your mom last weekend when we were in town! Made me miss you. ..
Post a Comment