Friday, November 02, 2007

No Fear Party

I'm going to put a disclaimer on this before I even start. I usually don't discuss this with other people because I don't want them to feel that I am trying to tell them how to do or not do this. I'm not! It's the furthest thing from my mind. I just want to share how excited I am about what God prompted us to do this year! This is between us and Him and has absolutely NO bearings on my love and respect for how you choose to do things in your family (which, by the way, is how I feel about anything you and I do differently). There are choices you make in your families that constantly challenge me to rethink my decisions and ask God if He is wanting something else from us. Okay, now I feel better, and I love each of you!

Can I just tell you how much fun we had Wednesday?!!! In the past I have completely dreaded this time of year. I personally dislike everything about Halloween. The fear, greediness, and darkness that drive the holiday for most people disturb me. I dislike going to the grocery store and having to steer my small children around blood, skeletons, and life size grim reapers. I dislike that kids will gripe about people not giving out the right candy or enough of it when their bags are full of enough sugar to make you sick looking at it. I cannot find a way to align this with my beliefs of what I should teach my family. Witches and demons and evil are real, not playthings. They are part of the Enemy's army and we are on the other side. I am teaching them that God is love and casts out fear. So why toy with it or celebrate it?

In the past we have avoided the holiday. We do something else and treat that day like any other. We go to dinner or hang out with family. As it approached this year, I found myself desiring more. I felt prompted to do more than just find a safe or fun alternative when I could redeem this for God's glory. So, I did something that I often forget to do, but, whenever I remember, I am blown away by His willingness to answer in even the smallest of issues. I asked for creativity. I am not by nature the most creative person around. The great thing about this lack on my part is that whenever I experience a burst of it, I know it's God and not me. Anyway, as I prayed, the ideas just started coming. I talked to John and we decided that we really wanted to focus on the opportunity to interact with our neighbors. I mean, how often do all of your neighbors show up at your front door?

So, we scheduled our first ever Critz family "No Fear Party." All during the day, LJ and I talked about God's power and how He is bigger, stronger, and more powerful than anything or anyone else so we have nothing to fear. We listened to praise songs like "God is Big" and made a poster that listed things that are big but still smaller than God. We also wrote down things we don't have to fear like fire, thunder, and bad guys. I wrote it exactly like he said it and he was very proud of his decorating skills. Then, while he was watching a movie about God helping us not to fear, I made some snacks that reminded us of Bible stories where God was powerful. You can see those in the pictures below. LJ and Kailey dressed up like animals on Noah's Ark and made an ark out of sofa pillows. Daddy ended up playing with the praise band for Fallfest so we stayed home to pass out candy and showed him all of our "No Fear" goodies when he got home. A few family members stopped by to eat dinner with us and see our little projects. When the kids started arriving, we passed out candy, met neighbors, and that night we prayed that each child and family who had come to our door would experience God's power in their lives, dissolving all their fears. Several weeks ago LJ and I chose some pumpkins and wrote verses about God's love and power over fear on them to put on our porch. One cute little boy that came to the door asked me what my pumpkins meant. I told him what they meant and he ran back to his mom yelling, "Mom, they're Christians in that house!" Now I just pray to daily live in a way as I come and go among my neighbors that backs up that title that includes my Lord's precious name!

All in all we considered our day a massive success and all glory goes to God for His creativity! He is so faithful to hear my cries as a mom even on seemingly insignificant things like this holiday. LJ has continued to talk about God's power and not being afraid since then. After all this, I am definitely asking Him for some Thanksgiving ideas! : )

The dinosaur watching a Hermie video about not being afraid

Some of our snacks: David's staff and stones (pretzels and raisins), Animals in the ark (animal crackers), Daniel's lion (a lion craft), and one not pictured was Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace (sour patch kids in red jello). You can also see our poster in the back.

Even Goldie helped us out and played the part of the big fish. The little green guy is, of course, Jonah

The dinosaur and the duck in the ark

The dinosaur hugging the duck. The ark must have been a happy place. : )

7 comments:

Kendra said...

I love the creativity that God gave you!! Every detail sounded wonderful and all to HIS glory. Way to go, Mom!!! I especially love all the fun "no fear" snacks!! Great . .

Chesley said...

I LOVE what you did!! That is a great idea and the animal/ark costumes are great. Sounds like your family had a fun time!

angela said...

I've always been leary of Halloween myself. Seeing people hang lights on their houses this year really bothered me. I felt like it was counterfitting Christmas. Jason and I, too, stir clear of the scary things of Halloween. We try to make it more of a dress-up day kind of thing. We did go trick-or-treating, but try to make it more of a fun neighbor kind of thind. This year, however, I was hesitant in doing this and began questioning whether or not we should do the Halloween thing. I went ahead with it because it seems like "everyone else is doing it". What a terrible excuse, I know. Next year may be differnt. I LOVE your idea. You turned the tables on Halloween and celebrated God's goodness instead. Maybe we should try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration! I too think of myself as not very creative, but now realize that I have not ask God for creativity in matters such as this. Thank you for being an example of stepping-out, having fun, and doing something different. I may be taking your lead next year!

Julie said...

I think that is such an amazing idea!

We largely celebrate Halloween as a time to spend sharing treats and talking with our neighbors and to see Ryan look cute in some furry get up. I love the idea of making it even more meaningful. I am taking notes with all of this for when he gets older...

I also try to remember that this time of year is about harvest, not scary darkness things. Remembering that God truly is "the Lord of the harvest" who shares special things with us has always helped me enjoy the idea of sharing special treats with neighborhood children and their families more. I know it must make the darkness feel defeated for us to shine the light on it in these ways!

The Sexy Knitter said...

That's awesome! I love the shot of the "dinosaur" hugging the "duck"

Anonymous said...

Courtney, Thank you so much for offering your beauty and strength to me today. I think I have sold satan short up to now on how powerful he can take over and just how subtle.

What God has put on your heart for last week was powerful to share. Thank you for your families courage and example.

When I first got there a flood of dozens of memories of RFKC went through my heart. I intentionally chose the gazebo where the dress up has been for my quiet time as we had been talking about beauty and lessons we shared with small girls on their inner beauty that God supplies. A completely different but equally filling experience being there this fall.

Brooks Inc. said...

Courtney- Just catching up on my reading ...I absolutley love how the Lord gave you these thoughts and you acted on them. I loved every picture, every idea...ALL to His glory!

We celebrated Happy Hallelujah over here at the Brooks house...rejoicing in all the Lord has done for us!

I sure love you, your thoughts, and ht elife you live before the Lord!

Blessings to you today!

Becky