Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Mommy, I help."


If I've heard those words once over the last few weeks, I've heard them a hundred times. "I help" with the computer, the dishes, the cleaning, the dog, the laundry, etc. Although it slows the job down considerably and often completely removes all semblance of efficiency, it is my precious opportunity to give Little John the most valuable education. You see, I believe that the best and most lasting learning comes from life. We remember the things we have done and experienced far more than we do empty facts. Therefore it is my responsibility as a mom to teach as we go about our daily lives. My son is learning the little daily chores that make up so much of what we do during a week. Eventually, I want John to learn to read from the Bible during family devotions, to write his name on a birthday card for a loved one, to do math while figuring change at the grocery store, to learn the dates that his great-grandfather fought for our country during World War II. These are the things that will begin to shape and mold his perspective on learning. Does his curiosity drive him to know more about this world God made and how to live in it? Does he desire to cultivate each gift he has been given for eternal purposes? Or will I stifle his God-given drive by waiting for the perfect situation instead of learning as we go. And more importantly, will I get caught up in his learning the little things, the knowledge, instead of being focused on what he is becoming? It's not the chores and facts, it's the diligence and patience, responsibility and honesty that are making him Christlike. If his goal is to become more like the Lord, he will be able to do anything and learn anything God calls him to do or learn.

So, I will refocus on my job as a mom. I am to redeem moments, seek out opportunities, cheer on growth, and mostly point - away from myself and away from the trivial trappings of this world - to the only thing that matters. The Author of Life Himself, the Giver of knowledge, the Redeemer of moments. It sounds like this might be a great opportunity for me to become more like Him as well. Then, by the grace of God, my son will be ready, not for success, but to change his, "Mommy, I help" to "My Lord, I'll help."

No comments: